Skip to main content
Front Row

Season 2 Premieres Tuesday, October 12, 8:30 PM on PBS NC & the PBS Video App

Season 2 of Opioids: State of Recovery travels to New Bern, NC, to learn how law enforcement is tackling the opioid crisis. The Sandvigs tell their harrowing tale of how addiction led to the loss of a loved one, stressing the importance of helping those battling addiction before it is too late. Leah faces challenges of her own opening Wake Monarch Academy due to coronavirus.

Season 2 premieres Tuesday, October 12, 8:30 PM on PBS NC and streaming on video.pbsnc.org and the free PBS Video app.

Watch Now

Watch Full Episodes
1 / 2 Videos
Opioids: State of Recovery
Season 2
Opioids: State of Recovery
Opioids: State of Recovery
Season 1
Opioids: State of Recovery

Season 1 of Opioids: State of Recovery follows Leah Wright and her son, Carrson, as they recount his own recovery journey. Following multiple drug poisoning events, Carrson eventually found recovery and has been clean for over two years.

Leah’s journey with her son inspired her to start the Triangle’s first recovery high school, Wake Monarch Academy. Recovery high schools are designed specifically for adolescents who are in active recovery from substance use disorder. When adolescents in recovery return to their original high schools, they have a 70% chance of return to use. Those in recovery high schools stand only a 30% chance of return to use.

Learn More about Organizations Featured in Opioids: State of Recovery

Additional Information and Resources

If you or someone close to you needs help for a substance use disorder, talk to your doctor or call SAMHSA’s National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or go to SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Resources
https://www.samhsa.gov/find-treatment

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/index.html

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
https://www.ncdhhs.gov/assistance/mental-health-and-substance-abuse

Narcotics Anonymous (Find a Meeting)
https://www.na.org/meetingsearch/


 

State of Recovery is made possible by the generous support of Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.

 
The information and content provided on or accessed through this website are intended for general information purposes only, and are not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Individuals seeking medical advice or treatment should seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health care provider. UNC-TV does not recommend or endorse any specific opinions or information that may have been mentioned or referenced on this website.