Thank you for your thoughtful donations to our Giving Tuesday campaign. Your generous support helped us exceed our goal by raising $126K for PBS North Carolina. Because of you, we have more empathy, build stronger connections, inspire curiosity, educate ourselves, explore our world and so much more.
Thank you for joining us for Giving Tuesday this year, and thank you for supporting PBS North Carolina.
Six Things to Know About Giving Tuesday
What is Giving Tuesday?
“GivingTuesday is a movement that unleashes the power of radical generosity around the world” (source: GivingTuesday.org). Since 2012, GivingTuesday has gained popularity and momentum, inspiring hundreds of millions of people to support causes around the world.
Nonprofits and community organizations use Giving Tuesday to ask for support and to share how contributions will help others. Corporations get involved and pledge their support or use their platform to lift causes needing and deserving promotion.
Giving Tuesday has been called the “National Day of Giving” because of the abundant and generous support pledged on this day.
When is Giving Tuesday?
This year, Giving Tuesday is on Tuesday, November 30, 2021. Giving Tuesday takes place the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The common belief is Giving Tuesday began to combat consumerism that week of the year when Black Friday and Cyber Monday exhaust public attention and drive sales for products leading up to the holiday season.
Giving Tuesday reminds us that giving is better than receiving and of the importance of donating to people and causes needing our support.
What can you expect on Giving Tuesday from PBS North Carolina?
PBS North Carolina has participated in Giving Tuesday for the past 9 years, with hundreds of members contributing over that time.
This year, PBS North Carolina will continue our participation in Giving Tuesday by reaching out to our members, supporters, and viewers. You can expect to see our Giving Tuesday messages on-air, in email, and through our social channels.
Giving Tuesday falls on November 30th, 2021, during PBS NC’s Grow Together on-air fundraiser, November 26 – December 5. Typically, during on-air fundraisers, PBS NC schedules special programming only made available during certain times of the year. In addition, our messaging focuses on all the ways PBS North Carolina uses donors’ contributions throughout the year and asks for your continued support.
How can you participate in Giving Tuesday?
Below are three ways you can start participating in Giving Tuesday:
1. The most direct way you can participate in Giving Tuesday is by donating today! Give online at pbsnc.org/donate.
2. Did you know that most people donating to PBS North Carolina are Sustainers? By giving monthly, you can contribute a large amount over time and provide the regular support needed to sustain PBS North Carolina. To become a Sustainer, choose a “monthly” contribution when donating.
3. Did you know that people tend to give when others ask? Share your support for PBS North Carolina by telling others why you care about public media. Share on your social profiles, like Facebook, and tag @MyPBSNC.
Will my gift be matched on Giving Tuesday?
The Donor Challenge Fund will match contributions on Giving Tuesday and throughout the Grow Together campaign (11/26 – 12/5) until we reach our $120,000 goal. The Donor Challenge Fund is a group of donors who have pooled their contributions to be matched by YOU.
For the 5th year, Facebook is also matching donations given through the social platform on that day. On Tuesday, November 30, visit the PBS NC Facebook page and donate!
There are many ways that your gift to PBS North Carolina will make DOUBLE the impact. On Giving Tuesday, your donation could be matched dollar for dollar. Help us start the goal to match contributions and give early!
Giving Tuesday is a global movement – made possible by people, like you.
As a nonprofit, we know that our daily work is only possible because of our generous supporters. Your contributions help PBS North Carolina grow.
Because of you, PBS North Carolina:
- Offers programming from PBS, rated the #1 most trusted institution in nationwide survey.
- Provides a safe space to learn and discuss our differences.
- Reaches over 14 million people across North Carolina and in areas of Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
- Gives every child in our state equal access to quality, empowering and educational resources.
- Ensures that every North Carolinian is safe and protected through emergency alerts, like the Governor’s COVID-19 briefings and severe weather updates.
Your support impacts millions of people every day. We are so grateful that you may participate in Giving Tuesday and choose to donate to PBS North Carolina.
Thank you for all you give to PBS North Carolina.